APWU Industrial Relations Director
The information below has been provided by the Postal Service.
Hurricane information has been issue by the Postal Service and may
be found at the following links:
Eastern newsbreak 8-24-11 [PDF]
newsbreak 8-25-11 Employee Safety Checklist [PDF]
8-25-11 Flooding [PDF]
8-26-11 Technology [PDF]
- EmergencyHotLineNB [PDF]
Employee Safety During A Hurricane Warning
(A Hurricane Warning is issued when there is a threat of hurricane
conditions within 24 hours.)
All employees should follow instructions of State, Local Officials
and management staff.
Employee Safety During A Hurricane Watch
(A Hurricane Watch is issued when there is a threat of hurricane conditions
within 36-48 hours.)
- Listen to a battery-operated radio or television for hurricane progress
- Check emergency supplies.
- Fuel car.
- Bring in outdoor objects such as lawn furniture, toys, and garden
tools and anchor objects that cannot be brought inside.
- Secure buildings by closing and boarding up windows. Remove outside
- Turn refrigerator and freezer to coldest settings. Open only when
absolutely necessary and close quickly.
- Store drinking water in clean bathtubs, jugs, bottles, and cooking
- Store valuables and personal papers in a waterproof container on
the highest level of your home.
- Review evacuation plan.
- Moor boat securely or move it to a designated safe place. Use rope
or chain to secure boat to trailer. Use tie-downs to anchor trailer
to the ground or house.