Testing Issues Resolved
For Motor Vehicle Mechanics
The APWU and USPS have settled several issues involving which exams MVS employees must take to qualify for positions that were upgraded in 2001. The disputes arose when the Postal Service issued new qualification standards for the upgraded positions.
An exchange of letters between the union and management confirms the APWU position that:
- The appropriate written test for the Automotive Mechanic, PS-7, position is the 943 exam;
- The appropriate written tests for the Lead Automotive Mechanic, PS-8 and PS-9, are the 943 and 944 exams;
- Employees who have qualified on the 940 exam are deemed qualified for the Automotive Mechanic, PS-7, and Lead Automotive Mechanic, PS-8 and PS-9, positions;
- Test scores are valid for two years for employees transferring from other crafts, for those seeking USPS employment in the MVS craft, and for MVS employees who leave the craft and return within that time period;
- The test scores of employees who remain in the MVS craft will always remain valid and there will be no need to retest.
For background, see the USPS letter dated Jan. 18, 2006 [PDF], a letter from APWU to the USPS dated Jan. 4, 2006 [PDF], and a USPS letter dated Dec 12, 2005 [PDF].
[back to top]