2018 Contract Campaign and Slogan Contest!
08/18/2017 - The APWU’s national headquarters is gearing up for the upcoming 2018 Contract Campaign!
The current Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA), also known as a union contract, between the APWU and the USPS expires on Sept. 20, 2018 – just a little over one year from now. The contract determines wages, benefits and conditions of employment.
In June 2018, the APWU will open formal negotiations with management, and preparations are already underway. Some of the APWU’s major goals for upcoming negotiations include:
- Ensuring job security, including protecting no lay-off provisions and limiting sub-contracting;
- Providing fair pay raises that reward postal workers for their hard work and contributions;
- Bridging the gaps between the divisive “three tier” wage and benefit structure;
- Protecting and expanding career jobs;
- Uplifting the Postal Support Employee (PSE) workforce;
- Holding abusive managers accountable;
- Expanding and enhancing postal services.
Negotiations are never easy. Especially in the current political environment, they will be extremely challenging. The APWU’s success will depend on how much power and leverage can be mustered with member involvement and support from the public.
By successfully doing this in 2015, the union made real progress in the last contract.
Over the next year, the APWU will be building momentum, establishing contract action teams, wearing union gear and educating postal customers. There will be many opportunities – and much need – for members to get involved.