Fight the White House’s Budget Proposal!
Speak Up to Protect Your Job and Your Retirement!
07/13/2017 - The House Budget Committee is currently weighing a budget handed to them from the White house, which includes deep cuts to your pay and benefits. The final federal budget bill is slated to be released from committee to the full House next week. Let's make some noise!!
On Tuesday, July 18, we ask everyone to please take a couple of minutes to call 1-844-402-1001 and 1-844-813-4060 and tell your Representative in Congress to vote NO on the White House budget. Together, our united voices CAN make a difference!
APWU is leading the charge against these cuts as part of the Federal-Postal Coalition in this Day of Action. Tens of thousands of current and former federal employees are calling their representatives in Congress, to speak out against parts of the White House budget that hurt federal workers and retirees. The country-wide call-in’s success depends on you.
The White House budget is Robin Hood in reverse. It hurts postal employees by:
- Calling for an increase of 6% employee pension contributions into FERS - 1% a year for each of the next six years, which amounts to pay-cut of thousands of dollars a year for each FERS postal employee.
- Eliminating Cost of Living Adjustments (COLA) on FERS retirement benefits, reducing COLA on current civil service retirees and a change in calculating future retirement benefits from the current "high three" average to a "high five" year formula.
- Taking away the social security supplement for FERS employees who retire before they are eligible for Social Security benefits.
- Calling for massive cuts to programs workers rely on, including to social security disability benefits, Medicaid coverage, the Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP), the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) and the student loan program.
- Proposing $46 billion in “savings” to the Postal Service by a reduction in the methods of delivery. This could include cutting the number of delivery days and a further reduction in service standards.
"These cuts are being made on the backs of workers," said President Dimondstein. They rob hardworking Americans to line the pockets of the country’s multi-millionaires.
"We need all APWU members and supporters to call their member of Congress and tell them to vote ‘NO’ on this budget," said Legislative & Political Director Judy Beard. “It will devastate working families.”
Call: 1-844-402-1001 and 1-844-813-4060 and tell your Representative in Congress to vote NO on the White House budget. It will only take a couple of minutes.
Unite with us! Your livelihood may depend on it.