Virginia P&DC Faces $120,000 Fine for OSHA Violations
05/06/2016 - The Richmond, VA, Processing and Distribution Center (P&DC) is facing $120,000 fine for OSHA violations for exposing workers to the dangers of powered industrial equipment. On April 26, the facility received four repeat citations and one “other than serious” citation.
After receiving complaints about hazards involving powered industrial equipment in the facility, OSHA opened an inspection on Oct. 27, 2015. Inspectors gave out citations after they found that the Postal Service:
- Allowed workers to operate powered industrial equipment even though equipment was not inspected or examined for defects after each shift;
- Permitted employees to operate the equipment without wearing a seatbelt;
- Allowed workers to operate the equipment in aisles marked only for wheeled mail carts;
- Failed to give employees proper training to ensure they were able to operate the equipment, and
- Allowed workers to improperly tow wheeled carts using powered pallet jacks.